On Wednesday David and Mel visited Nelson and he was really pleased to see them.
Hilton visited on Friday and decided on bringing Nelson on a surprise visit to Darius and I at home ... When he arrived, I asked Nelson whether it was the way he remembered it and he said it wasn't at all, and then changed his mind to, "well, sort of". It is impossible to know what memories have altered and even merged to form his idea of 'home'.
Fortunately Nelson's friend Terry was here to help so that Darius didn't have to be left unattended when I had to help Nelson. There was nearly an hour after Terry had to leave and Hilton went to pick up his daughter when Nelson, Darius and I were at home on our own. Particularly since I'd been so surprised by the visit, it was all a bit awkward at first. Once we all relaxed, Nelson had a lovely play with Darius and we spent some time looking at photographs of Darius' adventures at day care. Here they are after Darius discovered that Nelson had hidden some of Darius' blocks in his shirt.
Naturally, since Nelson hasn't settled in to the nursing home as yet, I was concerned that he might not want to go home at the end of the visit. However after a couple of hours he was totally exhausted and given the choice of after dinner or before dinner, chose to go home before dinner. Luckily he went willingly but he was disappointed to be taken back to the same place.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment